Texas man's sex-abuse trial date set


SUBLETTE COUNTY – The Texas man who is charged with two felony counts of sexual abuse of a minor in 2014 – when he was 30 and the minor was 8 – pleaded not guilty in 9th District Court on April 28.

A warrant was issued in May 2021 for Jesus I. Castillo Duarte, now 38, who was apprehended in Texas and brought to Sublette County in March, court records show. His court file was sealed until Duarte was bound over to 9th District Court after waiving his preliminary hearing, making his name public and the victim’s identification still confidential.

The minor girl told a counselor last year that Duarte touched her inappropriately several years earlier when she was about 9 years old; records show. He allegedly came to a previous family home and sexually molested her, she said.

Wyoming Department of Family Services reported it to the Sublette County Sheriff’s Office. Detective Travis Lanning interviewed the minor and parents to pinpoint the time frame as July 3, 2014 – the summer before the minor started fourth grade in another school, according to his affidavit.

Duarte is charged with first-degree sexual abuse of a minor, at least 16 at the time of the assault with the minor younger than 13, a felony that carries a maximum penalty of 25 to 50 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Duarte is also charged with third-degree sexual abuse of a minor younger than 17 when he was at least four years older, according to court records. That felony carries penalties of up to 15 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Judge Marv Tyler set Duarte’s five-day jury trial for Sept. 19 and ordered pre-sentence and substance abuse reports. Duarte remains in custody in lieu of $50,000 bond.

TRENDING RECIPE VIDEOS