Swimmers make waves at Homecoming
BIG PINEY – The Sublette County combined girls' swim team dove into Homecoming weekend posting multiple top-three finishes at the Big Piney Triangular against Kemmerer and Lyman on Friday, Sept. 23. Sublette County took second place, beating Lyman by 27 points.
Up bright and early on Saturday morning, the swimmers traveled to the Evanston Invite featuring teams from across the region. Sublette County placed fifth with 155 points.
Senior Rayne Wheeler captured gold in the 100-backstroke in front of the home crowd on Friday. She clocked in at 1 minute, 24.20 seconds, beating the runner-up from Kemmerer by more than 2 seconds.
Back in the pool moments later, Wheeler took silver in the 100-breaststroke with a time of 1:36.51.
Senior Morgan Grossman earned second place in the 50-freestyle, finishing the sprint in 32.82 seconds. She also bagged second place in the 400-freestyle, timing the long-distance event in at 5:34.96.
Sophomore Maggie Walker snapped up bronze in the 100-backstroke, finishing the event in 1:28.42.
Junior Addy Levitt swam into third place in the 200-freestyle at 3:03.06. Freshman Clairee Bingham took bronze in the 100-freestyle with a time of 1:28.12.
Wheeler, sophomore Alexis Thompson, Grossman and Walker picked up second place in the 400-freestyle relay, posting a time of 5:03.30. Wheeler, Walker, sophomore Jolynn Jones and Grossman snagged silver in the 200-medley relay at 2:35.70.
Additional relay highlights included a third-place finish for the 200-freestyle relay team. Bingham, freshman Libby Olson, freshman Shelby Scott and sophomore Emma York hit the finish line in 2:30.03.
"Homecoming was a lot of fun," said Co-Head Coach Kursty Day. "It was great to see all the spectators in the stands supporting our swimmers. The team loves to hear the cheers from family and friends encouraging them to do their best. At Evanston, the girls showed great efforts in their events."
The team "enjoyed celebrating Big Piney Homecoming" together and put in "great swims" at Evanston, said Co-Head Coach Ambr Seemann.
"The majority of our swimmers made best times in their events over the weekend and it was very encouraging to see their dedication continue to pay off in their races," she added.
Big Piney – Additional top-10 results
• 200-medley relay: Scott, Kaylea Mortensen, Olson and Thompson in fifth place at 2:55.04; Mariaha Morgan, Evalyn Smith, Bingham and Mya Swain in seventh at 3:24.14 and Alyce Hayward, Hadlee Francis, Kamia Runyan and Catie Langlois in eighth place at 3:25.85.
• 200-freestyle: Chelsea Wright in sixth place at 3:19.90, Bryn Arne in seventh at 3:23.73 and Hayward in eighth at 3:25.34.
• 200-individual medley: Walker in fourth place at 3:19.19, Runyan in seventh at 3:56.53 and Francis in eighth at 4:05.84.
• 50-freestyle: York in fifth place at 34.64 seconds, Thompson in sixth at 43.77, Jones in seventh at 34.95, Scott in eighth at 35.12 and Bingham in ninth at 36.12.
• Diving: Lilly Joseph in fourth place with 126.60 points.
• 100-butterfly: Jones in fourth place at 1:34.65 and KaLee Bohnet in fifth at 1:42.08.
• 100-freestyle: Olson in fourth place at 1:28.98, Arne in fifth at 1:32.26, Cambry Jenks in seventh at 1:35.28, Francis in eighth at 1:39.83, Langlois in ninth at 1:41.95 and Morgan in 10th at 1:44.12.
• 400 freestyle: York in fifth place at 6:12.38, Thompson in sixth at 6:16.52, Scott in seventh at 6:27.52 and Levitt in ninth at 6:36.83.
• 200-freestyle relay: Bohnet, Wright, Arne and Francis in fourth place at 2:48.49.
• 100-backstroke: Wright in sixth place at 1:54.42 and Jenks in seventh at 1:59.35.
• 100-breaststroke: Morensen in sixth place at 1:52.96, Runyan in seventh at 1:59.58 and Smith in eighth at 2:01.40.
• 400-freestyle relay: Bohnet, Mortensen, Joseph and Jones in fourth place at 5:50.40 and Levitt, Arne, Morgan and Hayward in sixth at 6:19.13.
Evanston top-10 results
• 200-medley relay: Wheeler, Walker, Bohnet and York in sixth place at 2:22.12.
• 200-freestyle: Grossman in third place at 2:20.33 and Scott in ninth at 2:40.78.
• 200-individual medley: York in fifth place at 3:05.62 and Langlois in ninth at 3:53.22.
• 50-freestyle: Wheeler in ninth place at 28.87 seconds.
• 100-freestyle: Grossman in sixth place at 1:03.59.
• 200-freestyle relay: Grossman, Thompson, Wheeler and Walker in fifth place at 2:02.76 and Scott, Bingham, Runyan and Levitt in ninth at 2:18.13.
• 100-breaststroke: Wheeler in fourth place at 1:23.52.
• 400-freestyle relay: Thompson, York, Jones and Grossman in third place at 4:45.61; Scott, Olson, Bohnet and Bingham in eighth at 5:31.88 and Francis, Morgan, Mortensen and Langlois in 10th at 6:16.38.