Swim team wins at home, in Cody
WYOMING – The Sublette County combined boys’ swim team showed its strength and endurance in a grueling weekend with three back-to-back meets. Undaunted by the busy schedule, the boys dominated the Big Piney Triangular on Thursday, Jan. 7, beating out Kemmerer and Lyman.
Stepping back on the bus Friday, the team beat Riverton and the host school at the Cody Invitational scoring 406 points to 312 from Riverton and 212 from Cody.
Capping the weekend off on Saturday, the team competed at the Gene Dozah Invitational hosted by Powell. Sublette County took second place with 323 points, behind Powell at 341 points and ahead of Riverton (247 points) and Cody (155).
Big Piney junior J.T. Day qualified the 200-freestyle and 100-butterfly and now has four events to choose from at State.
Hampton Jones, a Big Piney sophomore, won first place in the 1-meter diving event at the Big Piney Triangular, scoring 125.95 points. Day helped Andy DeClue, Dillon Boespflug and Hunter Scott take first in the 400-meter freestyle, timing in at 4 minutes, 23.64 seconds.
Day, John Covill, Boespflug and Scott won the 200-yard freestyle relay at the Cody Invite with a time of 1:42.49.
“It was a long but very productive weekend for our swimmers,” said Coach Kursty Day. “This was a good chance for the boys to spend lots of time together. Coming off Christmas break, it was a good opportunity to see how the guys are doing with their training. We had some great swims and most of the team dropped times throughout the weekend.”
Big Piney individual results – Big Piney Triangular
- 200-meter individual medley: Ryen Hacklin in fourth place at 2:57.39.
- 50-meter freestyle: Brayden Hymas in eighth place at 30.16 seconds, Sage Mahaffey in ninth at 31.93, Owen Nielson in 10th at 32.72 and John Ruby in 15th at 37.01.
- 1-meter diving: Day in second place with 123.35 points.
- 100-meter freestyle: Conner King in third place at 1:16.53 and Jones in fourth at 1:21.60.
- 400-meter freestyle: Nielson in fifth place at 5:37.37, Day in sixth at 5:43.36, Hymas in 10th at 5:59.63 and Mahaffey in 12th at 6:09.08.
- 100-meter backstroke: Ruby in third place at 1:44.63.
- 100-meter breaststroke: Hacklin in third place at 1:26.75.
Big Piney individual results – Cody Invite
- 200-yard freestyle: Day in second at 2:12.21, Hymas in fourth at 2:20.38, King in eighth at 2:31.51 and Ruby in 13th at 2:51.32.
- 200-yard individual medley: Nielson in fourth at 2:52.26 and Mahaffey in fifth at 2:59.10.
- 50-yard freestyle: Hacklin in ninth at 28 seconds.
- 1-meter diving: Jones in second with 137.80 points.
- 100-yard butterfly: Day in fourth at 1:07.54.
- 100-yard freetyle: Hymas in sixth at 1:02.97, Nielson in ninth at 1:05.57 and Jones in 12th at 1:13.65.
- 100-yard backstroke: Hacklin in third at 1:10.98, King in fourth at 1:11.95, Mahaffey in eighth at 1:25.87 and Ruby in 11th at 1:38.45.
Big Piney individual results – Powell
- 200-yard freestyle: Hacklin in sixth at 2:24.06 and Mahaffey in 10th at 2:33.80.
- 50-yard freestyle: Hymas in seventh at 26.76 seconds and Nielson in 19th at 29.93.
- 1-meter diving: Day in fourth with 164.50 points and Jones in sixth at 143.45.
- 100-yard butterfly: Nielson in third at 1:11.88.
- 100-yard freestyle: Hymas in seventh at 1:02.35, Hacklin in 10th at 1:03.51, King in 12th at 1:04.31 and Ruby in 19th at 1:18.85.
- 100-yard backstroke: Day in third at 1:09.06, King in fifth at 1:12.20 and Jones in 13th at 1:37.45.
- 100-yard breaststroke: Mahaffey in seventh at 1:28.88.