Smaller Big Piney squad competes at Mountain View
Robert Galbreath photos
MOUNTAIN VIEW – Spring Break did not stop the Punchers from putting in another week of practice and competition. The team traveled to the Bridger Valley on Wednesday, March 31, to compete at the Mountain View Invitational.
Due to the holiday, Big Piney did not field a full team. The Punchers took ninth place overall with 68 points.
Senior Muriel Jones dominated girls’ varsity middle- and long-distance events. Sweeping the competition in the 3200-meter run, Jones took first place at 12 minutes, 2.86 seconds, 1:27 ahead of the second-place finisher from Green River.
Jones also won the 400-meter dash, timing in at 1:02.84. In relay action, Jones, along with sophomore Renee Bultema, sophomore Shelby Guest and freshman Morgan Brown, cruised into first place in the 1600-meter sprint medley relay at 4:45.84. The team edged Lander out by less than a second.
The boys’ varsity 1600-meter sprint medley team also took first place. Juniors Anton Vickrey, Karson Cline and Jaron Petty and senior Carlos Munoz beat Pinedale by over 5 seconds at 4:03.89 to take the blue ribbon.
Junior Hanna Hansen broke into the top five in girls’ varsity field events at Mountain View. Hansen took third place in shot put with a toss measured in at 31 feet, 4 1/2 inches. In discus, Hansen placed fourth at 88-03.
Munoz scored additional points for the Punchers in middle- and long-distance events. The senior placed fifth in the boys’ varsity 400-meter dash at 56.60 seconds. Munoz took seventh place in the 1600-meter run, finishing in 5:11.61.
Senior Nathan Maxfield entered the top 10 in boys’ throwing events. He took fifth in shot put, measuring in at 41-01 and sixth in discus at 115-00.
Hannah Runyan, a sophomore, made the top 10 in girls’ varsity shot put. She placed sixth with a toss at 30-00 3/4.
- Girls’ 100-meter dash: Zoe Long in 27th place at 16.26 seconds, Bultema in 29th at 16.29 and Desiree Coolen in 36th at 19.42.
- Girls’ 300-meter hurdles: Brown in 17th place at 1:01.43 and Bultema in 22nd at 1:05.81.
- Girls’ long jump: Long in 27th place at 10-05 1/2.
- Girls’ shot put: Lena Hatch in 22nd place at 24-01, Long in 28th at 22-04, Esther Garcia in 29th at 20-07 1/2 and Maggie Allmon in 31st at 19-07.
- Girls’ discus: Runyan in 12th place at 79-03, Long in 23rd at 65-00, Garcia in 27th at 56-10 and Allmon in 35th at 42-00.
- Boys’ 100-meter dash: Petty in 12th place at 12.25 seconds, Cline in 20th at 12.56, Luis Zuniga in 30th at 13.06, Jorge Garcia in 46th at 15.63, A.J. Cunningham in 48th at 15.87 and Ivan Silvas in 49th at 17.29.
- Boys’ 200-meter dash: Cline in 11th at 25.31 seconds, Cunningham in 41st at 34.56 and Silvas in 42nd at 40.65.
- Boys’ 400-meter run: Vickrey in 26th at 1:07.37 and J.T. Day in 28th at 1:08.78.
- Boys’ 800-meter run: Brandon Jones in 19th place at 2:35.00.
- Boys’ 1600-meter run: Wiley Smith in 32nd place at 7:02.74.
- Boys’ 3200-meter run: Brandon Jones in 11th place at 11:40.48 and Hampton Jones in 16th at 14:37.86.
- Boys’ long jump: Petty in 13th place at 17-02 1/4, Zuniga in 28th at 15-08, Day in 35th at 14-11, Vickrey in 41st at 13-10 1/2 and Cunningham in 46th at 12-04.
- Boys’ pole vault: Day tied for 13th place at 8-00.
- Boys’ shot put: Thomas Howard in 21st place at 32-08, Jackson Hajba in 33rd at 29-01, Hampton Jones in 36th at 27-08, Garcia in 43rd at 22-03 and Owen Neilson in 44th at 21-09 1/2.
- Boys’ discus: Hajba in 30th place at 76-08, Hampton Jones in 38th at 64-10, Garcia in 39th at 62-05 and Neilson in 45th at 55-07.
- Boys’ 4x100-meter relay: Vickrey, Zuniga, Petty and Cline in eighth place at 49.36 seconds.