MARBLETON — The American Red Cross is assisting a displaced Marbleton family following a Jan. 5 structure fire that broke out in a single-story residence off Highway 351 in south Sublette County. The occupants, one adult and one child, did not sustain any physical injuries as a result of the fire, the origin and cause of which remains under investigation. The American Red Cross of Wyoming provides care, comfort, mental health and health services, disaster supplies, lodging and assistance for other immediate needs. According to a press release sent out by the organization on Jan. 13, further assistance will be provided to the family as needed.
Sublette County Unified Fire (SCUF) Battalions 1, 2 and 4 responded to the fire at 9:45 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 5, to discover smoke billowing from the home’s attic, according to SCUF Battalion 2 Chief Mike Petty. Petty said there was fire damage internally, mostly in the attic space and in some walls, but no visible damage from outside the home. He noted firefighters were able to quickly access the property and begin extinguishing the blaze because the driveway had been recently plowed.
Although the fire in Marbleton is still under investigation, SCUF is urging homeowners and renters to always vent their clothes dryers to a safe location. Venting dryers indoors can be done safely so long as the dryer lint is captured and the lint traps are regularly cleaned. SCUF also reminds folks to use only qualified electricians to perform electrical work at home.
Finally, SCUF is asking the public to be sure their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are properly installed, have fresh batteries and are operational. Contact SCUF directly regarding detector installations at 307-367-4550.