Punchers finish 4th in season-opening meet
GREEN RIVER – The Punchers opened the 2021 spring sports season with a bang at the Green River High School Invitational on Wednesday, March 24. Big Piney placed fourth out of 14 teams, tallying 121.50 points.
Senior Torry Taylor, sophomore Shelby Guest, freshman Morgan Brown and senior Muriel Jones won first place in the girls' 1600-meter sprint medley. The team clocked in at 4 minutes, 38.38 seconds.
Hanna Hansen, a junior, dominated field events. In girls' discus, Hansen blew the competition away with a first place finish measured in at 99 feet, 10 inches. Hansen took second in the shot put with a toss of 31-09 3/4.
Muriel Jones punched in her first win for the season in the girls' 3200-meter run, leaving her opponents in the dust at 12:27.44, over one and a half minute faster than the second-place finisher from Green River. Jones came in second place in the 400-meter dash at 1:04.43.
Taylor picked up two second-place ribbons in sprinting events on Wednesday – the 100-meter dash at 13.79 seconds and the 200-meter dash at 28.58 seconds. Taylor placed fourth in the 400-meter dash, timing in at 1:07.54.
Sophomore Hannah Runyan broke into the top 10 in the girls' discus, placing ninth with a throw measured at 82-11.
In boys' events, junior Jaron Petty picked up third place in the boys' 200-meter dash, finishing the sprint in 25.49 seconds.
Sophomore Hunter Fisher placed third in the boys' 300-meter hurdles, clocking in at 46.96 seconds. Fisher came in fourth place in the boys' long jump, clearing 19-06.
Freshman Karsyn Gurr placed sixth in the boys' 100-meter dash at 12.21 seconds.
J.T. Day, a junior, placed ninth in boys' pole vault, hitting 7-06. Senior Nathan Maxfield landed in the top 10 in two field events, placing 10th in the boys' shot put at 37-08 3/4 and ninth in discus at 118-02.
- Girls' 100-meter: Allie Statham in 27th at 15.52 seconds, Zoe Long in 39th at 16.73, Jenny Montes in 41st at 16.88, Zoey Guerrero in 44th at 16.97 and Miritza Galvan in 46th at 17.80.
- Girls' 200-meter dash: Renee Bultema in 29th at 33.87 seconds, Montes in 34th at 34.38, Statham in 39th at 35.55, Galvan in 45th at 39.69 and Desiree Coolen in 47th at 49.60.
- Girls' 400-meter dash: Morgan Brown in 22nd at 1:15.02, Montes in 34th at 1:22.78, Bultema in 36th at 1:28.22 and Galvan in 37th at 1:39.16.
- Girls' 1600-meter run: Julia Hymas in 14th at 7:10.49 and Brynne Hoffman in 16th at 7:15.12.
- Girls' 100-meter hurdles: Guerrero in 14th at 21.81 seconds and Hayden Thoman in 18th at 27.18.
- 300-meter hurdles: Jakobi Hibbert in 12th at 59.37 seconds, Guest in 15th at 1:03.62, Guerrero in 17th at 1:04.63 and Thoman in 19th at 1:12.25.
- Girls' 4x100-meter relay: Brown, Hibbert, Guest and Statham in fourth at 1:03.90.
- Girls' 4x800-meter relay: Hoffman, Hibbert, Lena Hatch and Guest in fourth at 12:56.37.
- Girls' shot put: Runyan in 12th at 28-00 1/2, Hatch in 22nd at 25-05 3/4, Sierra Keiter in 28th at 23-07 1/4, Long in 30th at 23-03 1/2, Cary Taylor in 37th at 22-04 1/2, Esther Garcia in 45th at 20-01 and Maggie Allmon in 49th at 18-10.
- Girls' discus: Hatch in 11th at 78-09, Cary Taylor in 29th at 62-11, Keiter in 33rd at 59-01, Long in 40th at 51-03, Allmon in 50th at 45-00 and Garcia in 57th at 38-09.
- Boys' 100-meter dash: Thomas Barron in 22nd at 12.85 seconds, Anton Vickrey in 39th at 13.27, Thomas Howard in 53rd at 13.56, David Farrington in 75th at 14.60, Jorge Garcia in 89th at 15.80, A.J. Cunningham in 93rd at 16.35, Ivan Silvas in 96th at 17.74 and Trevor Haber in 97th at 23.09.
- Boys' 200-meter dash: Vickrey in 57th at 29.74 seconds, James McCormick in 67th at 31.92, Cunningham in 73rd at 35.81, Silvas in 74th at 40.99 and Haber in 75th at 57.62.
- Boys' 1600-meter run: Carlos Munoz in 14th at 5:11.71, Brandon Jones in 22nd at 5:40.52 and Day in 38th at 6:52.76.
- Boys' 300-meter hurdles: Jackie Meador in 10th at 57.75 seconds.
- Boys' 4x100-meter relay: Petty, Gurr, Barron and Meador in third at 49.25 seconds.
- Boys' 4x400-meter relay: Petty, Munoz, Fisher and Barron in third at 3:51.18.
- Boys' 4x800-meter relay: Brandon Jones, Wiley Smith, Farrington and Howard in fourth at 10:45.87.
- Boys' 1600-meter sprint relay: Barron, Gurr, Vickrey and Munoz in fourth at 4:08.84.
- Boys' long jump: Petty in 15th at 17-04, Vickrey in 25th at 15-09 and Cunningham in 43rd at 12-01.
- Boys' shot put: Howard in 27th at 32-00 3/4, Jackson Hajba in 34th at 30-11 3/4, Brayden Hymas in 38th at 29-11 1/4, Hampton Jones in 46th at 27-11 1/2, D.J. Varela in 49th at 27-05 1/2, Owen Nielson in 64 at 22-10 1/2 and Garcia in 65th at 21-10-1/2.
- Boys' discus: Howard in 21st at 91-10, Brandon Jones in 43rd at 78-10, Hajba in 45th at 75-06, Hymas in 46th at 75-00, Hampton Jones in 50th at 71-06, Varela in 51st at 70-09, Garcia in 66th at 58-06, Nielson in 69th at 58-00 and McCormick in 74th at 50-04.