Puncher track team travels to consecutive meets
WYOMING – The Big Piney track team dove right into the second week of competition with back-to-back meets on April 9 and 10. The action opened at the Lyman Invitational where the Punchers came in fourth place overall with 65 points.
On Saturday, Big Piney athletes traveled to Rock Springs for the Ted Schroeder Invitational. The Puncher girls’ varsity team placed eighth with 43 points while boys’ varsity came in ninth at 28 points.
Senior Torry Taylor swept sprinting events and picked up two first-place ribbons in the girls’ 100-meter and 200-meter dash. Taylor clocked in the 100-meter at 13.65 seconds and the 200-meter at 29.24 seconds.
In distance running, senior Muriel Jones won the girls’ 800-meter run, timing the race in at 2 minutes, 29.03 seconds. Jones placed second in the 3200-meter run at 12:03.28.
Junior Hanna Hansen performed well in throwing events. She came in third place in the girls’ discus, clearing a distance of 93 feet, 1 inch. Hansen took fifth in the shot put at 30-05.
In the boys’ 1600-meter run, senior Carlos Munoz took second place with a personal record of 5:00.78. Sophomore Brandon Jones placed second in the boys’ 3200-meter run with a time of 12:45.50.
Freshman Karsyn Gurr picked up a third-place ribbon in the boys’ 100-meter dash, finishing in 11.61 seconds. Brynne Hoffman, a sophomore, finished third in the girls’ 1600-meter run at 7:29.72.
Sophomore Zoey Guerrero picked up fifth place in the girls’ 100-meter hurdles, timing in at 20.71 seconds.
Senior Nathan Maxfield came in fifth place in boys’ discus at 118-02 and fifth in the shot put at 39-11 1/2. Fellow senior Jakobi Hibbert took fourth place in the girls’ pole vault, clearing 6-00. Junior Jaron Petty placed seventh in the boys’ 100-meter dash, timing in at 11.96 seconds.
In the girls’ 100-meter hurdles, senior Hayden Thoman came in seventh place at 22.24 seconds. Freshman Jackie Meador took seventh in the boys’ 300-meter hurdles at 53.87 seconds.
Fellow freshman Morgan Brown took sixth in the girls’ 300-meter hurdles at 1:06.37. Thoman placed eighth in the event, clocking in at 1:07.18.
In girls’ shot put, sophomore Hannah Runyan took sixth place with a toss measured in at 30-01 3/4.
Sophomore Hunter Fisher came in eighth place in the boys’ high jump at 5-00. Junior J.T. Day placed seventh in the boys’ pole vault at 8-00.
Relay teams picked up significant points for BPHS. Gurr, Petty, Fisher and Munoz won the boys’ 1600-meter sprint medley relay at 4:03.12.
BPHS took first place in the boys’ 4x800-meter relay. Day, junior Brayden Hymas, sophomore Thomas Howard and sophomore Hampton Jones clocked the event in at 11:21.03.
Freshman Julia Hymas, Hoffman, Hibbert and sophomore Shelby Guest finished second in the girls’ 4x800-meter relay at 12:57.56. Brandon Jones, junior Thomas Barron, junior Anton Vickrey and Meador picked up second place in the boys’ 4x400-meter relay at 4:13.47.
Rock Springs highlights
Muriel Jones ruled distance events with wins in the 400-meter dash at 1:04.45 and the 1600-meter run at 5:41.05. Jones, Taylor, Guest and Hibbert scored a win in the girls’ 1600-meter sprint medley relay, clocking in at 4:32.59.
Sophomore Hunter Fisher performed well in jumping, placing second in the boys’ 300-meter hurdles at 44.63 seconds.
In girls’ shot put, Hansen took fifth place with a throw measured in at 32-01.
Gurr placed sixth in the boys’ 100-meter dash at 11.83 seconds and took seventh in the 200-meter dash at 24.13 seconds.
Entering mid-distance events for the first time this season, Petty took fourth place in the 400-meter dash at 56.41.
Additional top-20 results – Lyman
- Girls’ 100-meter dash: Guerrero in 10th place at 15.05 seconds, Statham in 11th at 15.11, Morgan Brown in 12th at 15.14 and Jenny Montes in 16th at 15.77.
- Boys’ 200-meter dash: Day in 15th place at 29.02 seconds, A.J. Cunningham in 17th at 33.02 and Ivan Silvas in 18th at 39.86.
- Girls’ 200-meter dash: Statham in eighth place at 33.50 seconds, Montes in ninth at 33.54, Maritza Galvan in 11th at 39.08 and Desiree Coolen in 12th at 42.30.
- Girls’ 400-meter dash: Guest in ninth place at 1:17.52.
- Boys’ long jump: Vickrey in 11th place at 14-10 and Cunningham in 14th at 11-05.
- Boys’ shot put: Howard in ninth place at 34-07 1/2, Brayden Hymas in 12th at 32-04 1/4, Jackson Hajba in 13th at 30-08 3/4, D.J. Varela in 17th at 28-03, Hampton Jones in 19th at 26-11 3/4 and Jorge Garcia in 20th at 25-03 3/4.
- Girls’ shot put: Sierra Keiter in 11th place at 25-11 1/4, Zoe Long in 13th at 25-00 1/4, Lena Hatch in 15th at 24-06 3/4, Esther Garcia in 17th at 22-08 3/4 and Taylor Cary in 19th at 21-06 3/4.
- Boys’ discus: Hajba in 11th place at 91-06, Howard in 13th at 86-04, Hampton Jones in 16th at 75-07, Varela in 17th at 73-01, Brayden Hymas in 18th at 70-00 and Owen Neilson in 19th at 64-09.
- Girls’ discus: Hatch in ninth place at 80-11, Runyan in 14th at 73-11, Long in 17th at 67-03, Keiter in 18th at 65-09 and Cary in 20th at 64-06.
Additional top-20 results – Rock Springs
- Girls’ 100-meter dash: Taylor in 10th place at 13.82 seconds.
- Girls’ 400-meter dash: Taylor in 11th at 1:09.09.
- Girls’ 800-meter run: Hoffman in 15th place at 3:40.59.
- Girls’ 1600-meter run: Julia Hymas in 12th place at 7:39.51.
- Girls’ 100-meter hurdles: Guerrero in 14th place at 20.52 seconds, Guest in 16th at 20.82 and Hibbert in 19th at 21.31.
- Girls’ 300-meter hurdles: Hibbert in 14th place at 59.94 seconds and Guerrero in 16th at 1:00.13.
- Girls’ long jump: Long in 19th place at 11-11 1/2.
- Girls’ shot put: Runyan in ninth place at 30-02 1/2 and Keiter in 16th at 28-06 1/2.
- Girls’ discus: Hansen in 13th place at 77-04.
- Girls’ 4x100-meter relay: Galvan, Montes, Guerrero and Long in sixth place at 1:04.08.
- Girls’ 4x800-meter relay: Julia Hymas, Hoffman, Brown and Hatch in third place at 13:36.23.
- Boys’ 100-meter dash: Barron in 20th place at 12.50 seconds.
- Boys’ 200-meter dash: Petty in 11th place at 24.43 seconds.
- Boys’ 400-meter dash: Munoz in ninth place at 57.60 seconds.
- Boys’ 1600-meter run: Brandon Jones in 16th place at 5:42.73.
- Boys’ 4x100-meter relay: Meador, Day, Howard and Barron in ninth place at 52.41 seconds.
- Boys’ 4x400-meter relay: Barron, Howard, Munoz and Thomas in fifth place at 4:00.42.
- Boys’ 4x800-meter relay: Munoz, Jones, Meador and Wiley Smith in third place at 9:54.90.
- Boys’ long jump: Petty in 15th place at 17-07 3/4.
- Boys’ discus: Maxfield in 18th place at 98-02 and Howard in 19th place at 97-11.