Fire victim identified as Pinedale man

One died and another was injured in home fire.

A woman life-flighted

early Thursday after a house fire devastated

the single-family home at 121 N.

Ashley Ave. in Pinedale is now in “fair

condition” at Eastern Idaho Regional

Medical Center.

James Tipton, 67, of Pinedalre was

found by firefighters and positively identified

Monday.

The cause of Tipton’s death has not

been determined.

The cause of the blaze is still under

investigation.

Tricia Gregory Gunderson, 57, of

Pinedale, was taken by ambulance to

the Pinedale Medical Clinic with acute

smoke inhalation and burns and then

flown to EIRMC’s Burn Intensive Care

Unit, according to the Sublette County

Sheriff’s Office.

The fire was reported Wednesday at

10:50 p.m. by neighbor Channing Stockman,

who told the Examiner  he was in

his apartment playing his guitar when

he smelled smoke and heard a woman

screaming. He went to the house, where

he could see flames and Gunderson inside

the house screaming, “Get out, get

out.”

He helped her off the porch and called

911. Stockman said the woman believed

a man was still inside the house but the

fire engulfed the interior so he did not

go in. Sublette County Unified Fire responded

with 10 apparatus and 32 firefighters;

a crew tried to enter and search

the home but was pushed back by heavy

smoke and flames. Eventually they

found a deceased man inside.

Noxious smoke billowed from the

home and drifted through the west side

of town for hours after firefighters arrived

and knocked down flames that

bystanders said burst up as high as trees

around the property. Firefighters hosed

down the house from the side and back

as flames flickered occasionally in the

attic and edge of the roof.

Wyoming Highway Patrol Trooper

Landon Call said he was first to arrive

on the scene, four or five minutes after

Stockman’s 911 call to dispatch, and

found the house engulfed in flames.

Very shortly, the massive emergency

response team arrived of firefighters,

EMTs and deputies and ambulances,

engines and patrol vehicles flashing blue

and red lights around the home.

Patricia Knudsen, of Rock Springs,

owns the property, according to county

land records.

Investigators from the Wyoming Fire

Marshal’s Office have not determined

the cause of the fire.

Advertisement


Video News
More In Home Page