On the last Monday in May, Memorial Day honors all
the men and women who died for their country in the armed services. The local American
Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars in Sublette County have several events
planned to commemorate the fallen.
• In Big Piney on Monday, May 27, the American Legion Post No. 78 hosts a
service honoring local veterans at 11 a.m. at the Plainview Cemetery. The event will
feature guest speaker Sublette County Sheriff K.C. Lehr. A picnic luncheon immediately
following the ceremony will be hosted at the cemetery.
• Poppies will be available from the American Legion Auxiliary in front of the
Pinedale Post Office and Ridley's on Saturday, May 25, starting at 9 a.m. Certain local
businesses will have cans available for donations.
• On Monday, May 27, at 10 a.m., the American Legion is conducting a memorial
service and laying of the wreath at the American Legion Park in Pinedale.
• The Veterans of Foreign Wars is hosting a ceremony at the Pinedale Cemetery at
11 a.m. on Monday, May 27. The ceremony, involving laying wreaths, will take place
where the American Legion memorial cannon is located on the cemetery grounds.
• Following the ceremonies, at 12:30 p.m., the Veterans of Foreign Wars will host
a free lunch for veterans and their families at the VFW Post on 1033 West Pine Street
Memorial Day was first established in 1873 by the state of New York as
a day of remembrance for those who died in service to the country.